Mindfulness and Contentment this New Year
We’ve kicked off 2019 and it definitely has plenty in store for us. Of course, a new year means a new you, new habits, or new goals. As ambitious and driven women, we’re constantly seeking ways to better ourselves and achieve the same success as our peers. While this pressure motivates us, it’s equally as important to recognize what we have achieved.
As we jump into 2019, we want to remind our #PowerfullyPetite community to take a moment to find contentment with where we are. Let’s be thankful for what we have and for the people who support us in everything that we do. Here’s a few ways we’re planning to stay mindful:
- Scheduling time away from our electronics. Since we’re always connected, it can be incredibly cleansing and cathartic to take some time away from our devices. Try to schedule time in the morning or at night to disconnect and recharge.
- Meditating. Even if you’re not familiar with it, meditation can help you gain a new perspective or even just gain awareness of your thoughts. There are many resources out there for beginner meditators (apps like Headspace have helped us!). Take a few minutes to engage with what’s happening now and spend some time with your thoughts.
- Learning to appreciate the little things. With all that’s happening in the world and your life, it can be hard to find the positives. Find a little more joy in your day-to-day by taking note of little things that make you smile, maybe even writing a few down, to remind yourself that there is always good around you.
- Asking a few more questions. Whenever something makes you curious, go ahead and explore. Ask questions about things you’ve wondered about or maybe find questions for things you haven’t wondered about. Being curious helps you be more present and aware of what’s happening around you.
- Forgiving others (and yourself). Sometimes we let grudges control our thoughts and actions, which can distract us from our passions. In 2019, try to forgive anyone who’s hurt you, maybe even attempt to understand their perspective. Most importantly, forgive yourself for any mistakes that still bother you and focus on what you can do better.
Hopefully these tips help you approach your life with a little more mindfulness and contentment this year. As you make and (hopefully) stick to your resolutions this year, make sure to also recognize what you’ve been able to achieve so you can enter 2019 with a positive outlook.