How to Elevate your Style
If you’re like us, you’re constantly trying to find ways to elevate your style without needing to buy a completely new wardrobe. Here are some easy and affordable tips on taking your outfits to the next level.
- The fit of the item can make or break your outfit. Find something you bought ages ago, but haven’t worn because the fit looks off and consider taking it to the tailor. Tailored pieces can make you look more put together and take your look from just OK to incredible.
- Look through your closet and identify one item that you are missing. For petites, this might be a pair of culottes, cropped skinnies, or wide leg pants since they are typically hard to find in the right fit.
- Keep your clothes in good condition! Sew up holes and replace buttons with your own sewing kit or ask a friend to help! A little TLC can go a long way.
- Make sure your clothing isn’t wrinkly. Send it to the dry cleaners or get an inexpensive steamer. Although subtle, this trick pulls your outfit together with minimal effort.
- Sometimes a new hairstyle is all you need to change things up a bit. Try out a new haircut like a bob or maybe get some fringe. If you’re feeling a bit adventurous, a color change can get you ready to take on the world like the confident woman you are!
- If you’re already rocking a great hairdo, you could polish your look even further with some smoothing cream or Moroccan oil right after the shower. Once you blast your hair with a blow dryer and run a straightening iron over it, your “just-washed” look will last through the week.
- Even if you’re not one to spend hours getting ready every morning, a little swipe of mascara and a touch of lipcolor can add a layer of sophistication to your daily look. Invest in a few quality products that you can use everyday, like a go-to lipstick or a long-lasting, well-matched foundation.
- Take care of your hands! They’re always on display so you might want to put a little care into how they look. Carry a hand cream with you to reapply every so often. Even if you hate wearing nail polish, trim and shape them regularly to keep them clean.
- A few choice pieces can really elevate your outfit and even make it look more expensive -- with little to no effort! Identify what style jewelry works for you, whether it be dainty and light or intricate and structural, and invest in some versatile pieces that say “I’m put together” but can also be thrown on in a pinch.
- Keep your purse clean: use unscented lotion on leather (Windex on patent leather) and always use a dust bag when traveling/storing your bags.
- Even when you aren’t dressed for an interview and are just going to buy groceries, you can boost your mood and confidence with good posture. A good trick is to imagine that someone is pulling up on a string that runs from the bottoms of your feet to the tip of your head.
In the end, no matter what you wear, you can project confidence by practicing self-motivation and positivity. You are your own worst critic, so remember to enjoy the small victories and reflect on what you do like about yourself. For more on self esteem, check out our blog post on little ways to boost confidence!